Portfolio Management Workshop – Wrangling Chaos into Order
When: Date TBD, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM (Registration starts at 8:00 AM)
Where: AIM Council, 1444 I St NW, Floor 6, Washington, DC 20005
What is Included: Continental breakfast, lunch, refreshments and course completion certificate
CLP Qualification: 8 CLPs (Pending)
The AIM Council’s Portfolio Management Workshop – Wrangling Chaos into Order will provide an understanding of the role of a project portfolio in translating strategy into desired results. You’ll learn how to identify and apply leading portfolio management practices and build a business case for a project (investment). This unique workshop will teach you how to use the Portfolio Management maturity model to determine an organization’s current maturity level and how to use that information. The portfolio design process will be broken down into its component parts with an understanding of the key aspects and principles of portfolio governance. You’ll also review various federal agencies dashboards and portfolio management approaches that will be helpful for you, whether you’re working for an agency, or supporting one as a contractor/consultant.
What You Will Learn:
- The concept of portfolio management (PfM)
- Rationale for instituting PfM
- Characteristics of organizations at different levels of PfM maturity
- PfM methodology steps
- Leading PfM practices from the commercial sector
- PfM guiding principles applicable to all sectors
- Differences in public and private sector PfM objectives
- General concepts related to portfolio management (PfM)
- The methodology, i.e., steps, involved in PfM execution
- Focus areas for building a baseline portfolio capability
- Performance management methods, metrics, and application to PfM
- Prioritization techniques for portfolio structure
- Risk management in portfolios
- And more!
- Introduction to Portfolio Management (50 minutes)
- Portfolio Management Methodology Overview (15 minutes)
- Portfolio Management Methodology Detail (4 hours)
- Determine Objectives and Portfolio Design Requirements
- Establish Portfolio Framework
- Establish Inventory of Investments
- Identify Portfolios
- Align and Analyze Investments
- Prioritize Investments (Establish Governance)
- Monitor and Evaluate Portfolios
- Portfolio Management in the Federal Government – Agency Case Studies (20 minutes)
- Dashboards – Monitor and Analysis (30 minutes)
- Prioritization Techniques (30 minutes)
- Portfolio Risk Management Techniques (20 minutes)
- AIM Council Members: $395.00
- Non Members: $495.00
Cancellations prior to February 17th will require a request via email to email@example.com. No refunds are issued after February 17th. Substitutions are accepted via email request. Registration is only available to the first 20 students who register with payment.
About the Trainer: Chris De Francisci, MITRE Corporation
Chris De Francisci has over 30 plus years of consulting and working with the federal government and DoD. His background includes a strong foundation in information technology, portfolio management, governance, strategic planning, and past experience in database management, artificial intelligence, and internet domain management (managing world-wide production servers for top-level Internet domains such as .biz and .us).
Chris has extensive experience in developing and implementing portfolio management systems for government agencies, both state and federal. His experience has covered multiple federal agencies including the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Environmental Protection Agency, Health and Human Services, the Veterans Administration, and others. He was a chief developer of the MITRE Strategic Management Operating Model © and serves as a MITRE subject matter expert in Enterprise Portfolio Planning within the Enterprise Strategy and Transformation (ES&T) Technology Center.
Chris holds various degrees in Computer Science, Social Psychology, Information Systems Management, along with several certifications: Project Management Professional (PMP), Strategic Management Professional (SMP), Certified in the Governance of Enterprise Information Technology (CGEIT), and Capital Planning Professional (CPP).
The MITRE Corporation’s mission-driven team is dedicated to solving problems for a safer world. We are a not-for-profit company that operates multiple federally funded research and development centers (FFRDCs).
We work across the government, through our FFRDCs and public-private partnerships, to tackle problems that challenge our nation’s safety, stability and well-being. Our unique vantage point allows us to provide innovative, practical solutions in the defense and intelligence, aviation, civil systems, homeland security, judiciary, healthcare, and cybersecurity spheres.